Rocket League has exploded in popularity over the past few years, cementing itself as one of the most fun and competitive multiplayer games around. The high-flying car soccer hybrid gameplay lends itself perfectly to a controller setup. With the release of the new PS5 and its impressive DualSense controller, many players are looking to use the PS5 controller for Rocket League on their PC. This allows you to take advantage of DualSense’s enhanced haptic feedback and adaptive triggers to elevate your Rocket League skills. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know how to play Rocket League with ps5 controller on pc for an awesome gaming experience.
Overview of Connecting a PS5 Controller to Your PC
The PS5 DualSense controller can be connected to your Windows PC either wired via the USB-C cable or wirelessly through Bluetooth.
Here’s a quick overview of the process:
- Wired connection – Simply connect your PS5 controller to your PC with a USB-C cable. This offers the most reliable, lag-free connection.
- Wireless connection – Pair your PS5 controller to your PC via Bluetooth for a cable-free experience. May require some troubleshooting to get it working properly.
- Configure Rocket League – Tweak your in-game settings like button bindings to optimize controls for your controller.
- Utilize DualSense features – Take advantage of the PS5 controller’s adaptive triggers and haptic feedback for immersive gameplay.
- Troubleshoot issues – Refer to the FAQ section below to fix any connectivity or configuration problems.
Now let’s dive into the steps for both wired and wireless setups.
Connecting Your PS5 Controller to Your PC with a Wired Connection
The most straightforward way to use your PS5 controller on your PC is to physically connect it with a USB cable. Here’s how to get set up:
What You’ll Need
- PS5 DualSense controller
- USB Type-C to Type-A cable (usually comes with PS5 console)
- Windows 10 PC
Steps to Connect
- Turn on your PS5 controller by pressing the PS button in the center.
- Plug the USB Type-C end of the cable into your PS5 controller.
- Plug the USB Type-A end into any open USB port on your PC.
- Wait for Windows 10 to automatically recognize and install the controller drivers.
You’ll know the connection is successful when the light bar on your PS5 controller turns solid blue and stops blinking.
Configuring Controller Settings
Once connected, you’ll want to configure Windows and Rocket League to recognize your controller properly:
- In Windows, open Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices and make sure your PS5 controller is listed.
- In Rocket League, go to Settings > Controls and select “PS5 Controller” from the preset options. Map your buttons/actions as desired.
- Adjust sensitivity and dead zones under Controller settings until it feels right. Lower dead zones can improve aerial control.
- Enable “Vibration” to take advantage of the PS5’s haptic feedback for hits, demolitions, etc.
And that’s it! With your PS5 controller wired to your PC, you’re ready to hop into matches and show off your skills. The wired connection delivers seamless, lag-free inputs for precise control.
Connecting Your PS5 Controller to Your PC Wirelessly
Connecting your DualSense controller wirelessly via Bluetooth gives you the freedom to play Rocket League without any cables getting in the way. Here are the steps to pair it to your PC:
What You’ll Need
- PS5 DualSense controller
- Windows 10 PC with Bluetooth capability
Steps to Pair
- Turn on your PS5 controller by holding the PS button until the light bar blinks. This puts it in pairing mode.
- On your PC, open Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices and select Add Bluetooth or other device.
- Choose Wireless Controller from the add device prompt. Your PC will search for the PS5 controller.
- Once detected, select your controller and hit Connect to pair it.
- The light bar on your controller will turn solid blue when successfully connected.
Troubleshooting Tips about to play Rocket League with ps5 controller on pc
Some common issues when pairing the controller wirelessly:
- Make sure Bluetooth is enabled on your PC before trying to pair.
- Keep the controller close to your PC during pairing, within 5 feet.
- If it fails to connect, restart your controller and try pairing again.
- You may need to connect via USB first before pairing wirelessly.
- Consult your PC/motherboard manual for Bluetooth troubleshooting steps.
Configuring Controller Settings
Just like with a wired connection, you’ll still need to configure Rocket League to recognize the wireless PS5 controller:
- In Windows Bluetooth settings, make sure the controller shows as paired.
- In Rocket League, choose “PS5 Controller” from the control presets and map your buttons.
- Fine-tune sensitivities and dead zones to suit your playstyle.
With the controller connected wirelessly, you’ve got full freedom of movement to pull off insane aerial maneuvers and non-stop gameplay. Enjoy!
Optimizing Rocket League Settings for PS5 Controller
To get the most out of your DualSense controller for Rocket League, there are a few in-game settings you’ll want to adjust:
Choose Your Controller Preset
In Settings > Controls, choose PS5 Controller from the Presets drop-down. This auto-maps the buttons/actions to match the controller layout.
You can further customize bindings if desired. For example, some players assign air roll left/right to L1/R1 rather than X/B.
Adjust Controller Deadzones
Under the Controllers tab, you can tweak Deadzone Shape and Deadzone values to optimize responsiveness.
Lower dead zones (0.05-0.10) allow faster aerial adjustments but can lead to stick drift. Find the right balance for your play style.
Enable Vibration Feedback
Switch on Vibration to feel collisions, demolitions, respawns, and more through the immersive haptic feedback in the PS5 controller.
This helps with orienting your car and adds to the overall sensory experience.
Utilize Adaptive Triggers
The PS5 controller’s adaptive triggers offer variable resistance tied to game actions. This can enhance the feeling of acceleration, jumps, landings, and more in Rocket League.
Not all PC games support adaptive triggers fully yet, but they can still add subtle physical effects when used with Rocket League.
With these optimized settings, you’ll be aerial dunking, pulling off saves, and nailing long-distance goals in no time with your PS5 controller. The added haptic feedback and control response really helps elevate your skills.
FAQ about to play Rocket League with ps5 controller on pc
Here are answers to some common questions about using a PlayStation 5 controller for Rocket League on your PC:
Q: My PS5 controller isn’t connecting to my PC, what should I do?
A: First, make sure you are using a compatible USB-C to USB-A cable for a wired connection. For wireless, ensure Bluetooth is enabled on your PC, restart the controller to put it in pairing mode, and keep it close to the PC when pairing.
Q: Can I use my PS4 DualShock controller instead?
A: Yes, the PS4 DualShock will work for Rocket League on PC. You’ll just miss out on the enhanced haptic feedback and adaptive triggers of the PS5 controller.
Q: What’s the difference between the PS4 and PS5 controller for Rocket League?
A: The PS5 DualSense has improved haptics for better vibration feedback, adaptive triggers with tension levels, larger analog sticks, USB-C charging, and a built-in mic.
Q: How do I get my PS5 controller to work with non-Steam games?
A: Add the game to your Steam library as a “Non-Steam Game.” This will enable PS5 controller support through Steam’s controller configuration options.
Q: Does the PS5 controller work wirelessly for PC gaming?
A: Yes! You can pair your DualSense controller to your PC via Bluetooth for wireless gaming, though the connection may be less stable than wired USB.
Key Takeaways for playing Rocket League with ps5 controller on PC
Connecting and optimizing your PS5 controller with Rocket League on PC is straightforward but extremely beneficial for your gaming experience.
Here are the key tips to remember:
- Connect your PS5 controller via a USB cable for lag-free wired gameplay or pair it wirelessly through Bluetooth for freedom of movement.
- Configure Rocket League to detect your controller by selecting the PS5 preset and customizing bindings.
Last Updated on 11 October 2023 by Ray Imran
Author Fajar Tariq’s gaming controllers offer diverse input options for video games, enhancing user experience and accessibility. From traditional gamepads to innovative hands-free and VR controllers, they cater to various needs and preferences in gaming.